CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Banana Nut Muffins

I love baking! Who doesnt? Get the munchkin down for her nap, zip into the kitchen, pump up the music to a reasonably good volume and rock out while making whatever it is you seem to be craving. Today I was craving muffins. I pulled out 5 frozen bananas an hour before I wanted to make my muffins (yes you can freeze them if you plan on using them in baking). I have a wonderful muffin cook book that I got recently "750 Muffin Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury." (if you dont have it, get it!) This one if from that book, but with my own substitutions and twists to it. They turned out extra yummy! My evidence is the fact that I have eaten 5 already.  I doubled this recipe cause I like to get a nice full muffins. So the way I have edited the recipe will get you 16 muffins.

1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar, Divided
3 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas
2 cups Vanilla chai Carbmaster yogurt (available at Fred Meyers as it is FM brand)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chopped walnuts/pecans (or whatever nut you happen to like.)

*Preheat overn to 375F
1) In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1tsp of cinnamon
2) In a large bowl mix together the flour, flax, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and the remaining cinnamon.
3) In medium bowl mix together the eggs, butter, bananas, yogurt and the remainder of the sugar.
4) combine the egg mixture to the flour mixture until just blended. Gently fold in the nuts.
5) Divide the batter among preped muffin cups. Fill the muffin cups so that the batter is level with the top of the muffin cups. This will allow the muffins to peak and give you a nice full muffin (perfect for a snack or breakfast!)
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.

*Baking your muffins is the next step and everyones oven is different. I cook my muffins for a shorter time at a lower temprature then what the standard recipe calls for. Here are the standard baking directions and adjust them to how your oven works.

6) Bake in preheated over for 23-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown or a inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool in baking sheet for 3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. (Because of the flax meal it hard to tell if the tops are golden, so I stick to the toothpick trick).

TA DAH! Muffins to indulge in!

0 comments: